WHAT DOES THE COURSE COVER?
- Choosing your place of birth: what’s the evidence and where is best for you?
- Planning your next birth: how this differs second time, labour refresher, when to call for help and what to do if birth is very quick.
- Coping skills for birth: water, movement, sound, aromatherapy, medical pain relief options.
- Focus on the role of the father/partner: looking after your partner, the children and yourself during the birth and early weeks.
- Reminder on early newborn care (nappies/cord care/jaundice/rashes) and postnatal recovery (wound/stitches/bleeding/pelvic floor)
- Preparing your older child for the birth, meeting the new baby & becoming an older sibling.
- Feeding information and advice (breast, bottle, expressing) – solving common feeding issues, settling and swaddling.
- Coping with two – practical advice on managing feeding times, bathing two, getting around and nurturing a positive sibling relationship. (Includes basic sling-wearing advice for hands-free newborn care).
- The emotional implications of a second child –looking after your family’s well-being and mental health.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INCLUDE?
- Attendance for two adults (if you are unable to arrange childcare or your partner is otherwise unable to attend, then why not bring along another supportive person like a sister/mum/friend).
- Two refresher information packs: one for labour and one for the postnatal period with all you need to know.
- The Group’s printable ‘cheat sheets’ to have to hand exactly when needed.
- Lunch and drinks.
- Email support from midwife Rachel during your pregnancy and first six weeks.